Monday, July 11, 2005

Arrival in East Timor

THIS IS A SEND ONLY ACCOUNT, PLEASE DOES NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.  THE PEACE CORPS TRAINEE WHO WROTE THIS MESSAGE PLEASE SEND ANY REPLIES TO THEIR PERSONAL ACCOUNT ADDRESS.

 

 

Hello family.  After a LONG trip we are in Dili, East Timor.  We can’t believe it.  Our trip was so long but amazing.  We spent five hours in the middle of Sydney, Australia…the Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge, fish and chips, gelato…it was great.  We even saw a super rainbow over the Opera House.  It was cold though…winter down there, you know.

 

We arrived in Dili on the smallest plane we’ve ever ridden on, and to tell the truth, as scared as most of us were, it was the smoothest ride of the five plane rides we’ve been on this trip.  We had a great view of the island coming in.  It really is beautiful here.  Hot, too.  Our training site will be in the mountains though so it will be cooler there. 

 

We had our first language lesson today.  They don’t waste any time throwing us into it.  It is really fun.  Our teacher, Luis, is a great teacher. 

 

We stay here at a hotel in Dili until Saturday and then go to our host families’ houses in the mountains.  Our hotel has AC and a balcony.  It’s pretty nice.  The power has gone off twice since we’ve been here J

 

We miss you all and will write more when we can.  Look forward to letters, cause that’s what it will be for a while I’m afraid.  We only go into town one day a week during training, on Wednesday, so that will be our email and mail day.  Please write us…

 

I love you all so much, here’s Travis

Rebekah

 

She said it all.  It really is more than I even imagined, and we just started!  I will now impress you with some Tetun:

 

Hau hakarak toba. 

 

I won’t tell you what it means but I will say that if you said, “I want to sleep,” it would mean the same thing.

 

Peace,

Travilito

 

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are there safe. We are all praying for your safety and your new 'jobs' . . .

Uncle Dave

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey welcome to the world of daily power outages. Did I ever tell you about the time I went to fill my car at the gas station and the attendant came out and said, "No Car rent!" I was somewhat chagrinned, and replied "This isn't a rental car, and what does that matter anyway? Please just put in ten dollars worth." Then he got a little louder and said again, "No Car Rent!" So then I got a litle louder and said, "This isn't a rental car and what does that matter any way?" He yells at me "No Car Rent!!" So I said, "Its not a rental... wait,,, are you saying that there is no current???"
Enjoy your own adventures in cultural mish-mash, I wish I was riding around in your pocket, watching it all. Love, Aunt Lisa from St. Maarten, Netherlands Antilles.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad your journey there was safe. Best of luck and we will be thinking of you often

6:08 PM  
Blogger L Lawson said...

Congrats and good luck on your jobs.

No quotes around jobs; PC is a hard, hard job.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed reading your posts and I am so glad you are there safely. I am amazed by you both. Take care.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy birfday bro. hopefully you will see this message before your next birthday.

chris

2:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home