Thursday, June 30, 2005

One week = Hitu days


Posted by Hello

Look at me, Mom! I can french braid my hair all by myself! I will surely survive in the third world with this skill. But should it be called a freedom braid? Nah...that's silly.
We had part II of packing today. We began this morning and immediately had a disagreement about how it should work. Travis' mom and brother saw us argue for the first time (not the first time we argued...but the first time they saw it!) We were arguing about how to best approach the PCs limits on inches (h + w + l). If we measured our army duffels from the top to bottom, they would go over the limit, but they won't be filled all the way. Travis felt that if the bags weren't filled all the way, that the only part that would be measured was what had stuff in it. I felt that they would measure the entire bag, regardless of how full it was. Neither of us were budging. I finally said, "Fine, do it your way for your stuff and I'll use another bag. And if you get fined for being over the limit, use your money to pay for it....dang, your money is my money, too." Ah, marriage.
So then we decided we needed to take a break. We went to see War of the Worlds with Travis' brother and his girlfriend. It was actually a good movie. I like alien movies, not science fiction alien movies, but action alien movies, like this one and Independence Day. I hope that never happens to the Earth, but if it does I hope I'm somewhere like East Timor. Surely the aliens don't know about East Timor.
And then back to packing. We reached a compromise that we will use the army duffels after all. Then, we will use duct tape to tape down the extra part of the bag, so the bag will take the shape of the stuff in it. Doing this, we come out 4 inches below the limit. Amazing.
Also impressive is the fact that we are each 30 pounds below the 80 pound weight limit. I honestly don't know how someone could pack 80 pounds into bags that fit the dimensions that they require.
My sister and her fiance are coming tomorrow. Did I mention they're engaged!?! Woohoo!
We're about the eat lasagna...yum!

5 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

I came upon your blog by accident....by clicking on "next blog" over and over! But I've added you to my favorites. I plan to read your archives, and keep posted on what you're doing. Sounds like a great thing you're doing.

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, we went to see 'War of the Worlds' too! We actually double-dated with Andrew and Morgan, hmm that was interesting. Ms. Carlene had a great time and we like 'intense alien movies'. Now it's time for us to see 'Madagascar' for something light-hearted!

Uncle Dave

8:14 PM  
Blogger Travis Leger said...

Thanks Elizabeth...we visited your blog and left a comment there! Thanks for checking us out.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Travis Leger said...

I want to see Madagascar, too...but we're kinda short on time...

...Bekah

10:09 PM  
Blogger L Lawson said...

I've linked your site too.

And, not to add to the argument, but I think they measure the bag in terms of bulk (ie the stuff inside if it's a soft duffel bag).

UKRAINE in 91 days!!! (Not as nice as seven days, but nice enough).

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home