Monday, June 25, 2007

Bek Abroad

So, for a while, this should be interesting. Our readers will enjoy (we hope) postings from both blogs: this one, and legersathome.blogspot.com. One Leger will be at home, one abroad. I, Bekah, will be the one taking off. In one week, I will be in the air headed to NYC then London then Nairobi, Kenya. Getting abroad, internationally abroad, has been on my mind for a while, and the time is almost here. How am I feeling? I'll fill you in...

I'm excited! Africa, I can't believe it. In a way, my decision to go on this trip came on a whim. As of March or so, I wasn't thinking of ever flying again. I had a bad flying experience last July, and didn't want to relive it. But, I decided to schedule the trip anyway, and this past May I passed my "test flights" to Hawai'i with flying colors (pun intended). Now I find myself with one more week and a huge trip ahead. I will be going without my other half, which will indeed be tough. After all, I use his lap for sleeping throughout every flight. I haven't told my travel-buddy that she might have to fill that void and make her lap available.

So I am not nervous, yet, about the flying. Nor am I nervous about the rest of the trip. I sometimes can't believe I am headed to Africa, this land I have heard so much about and recently studied. I can't wait to experience it all. The language. The dancing. The colors. The people. The kids. And not just the good things. I am also looking forward to the bad. The trash. The poverty. The illness. The death. The AIDS.

It may sound bad to the normal person to hear that I am looking forward to the horrendous parts of Africa. However, I need to see it. I envision the poverty in Africa, I have heard anyway, that it is dire, desperate. Poverty in Timor was apparent, but we lived in an area where we did not see it on a daily basis. I guess we were fortunate; I'm not saying that it didn't exist. I don't know what I'm saying, but I know I need to see Africa. And I will, in a week plus the two days we lose in the air.

So for the next 7 weeks or so, be sure to check both blogs.

Bek

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home